GLOBAL GAME JAM 2013 - GLASGOW
It’s taken me a while to recover from the game jam! 48 hours of making a game! Over 11,474 people took part at 319 sites around the world! That’s crazy!! It was so much fun; completely exhausting and hard work, but I really enjoyed it! My team and I worked on “The Unseen Evil”, a puzzle game where you have to find the vampire within a Victorian party! .. you can read a better description here. It was such a great experience for me. We used XNA to build it, something I’ve never used before. So that was a challenge in itself. But I feel like my skills and confidence in my programming really benefited from it. Maybe I’m not completely useless! I was really nervous about the entire thing before hand. But I definitely want to do it again next year. For the Unseen Evil, we won Best Art and were nominated for Best Gameplay! How awesome is that! :D
Reading is everything. Reading makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something, learned something, become a better person. Reading makes me smarter. Reading gives me something to talk about later on. Reading is the unbelievably healthy way my attention deficit disorder medicates itself. Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it’s a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it’s a way of making contact with someone else’s imagination after a day that’s all too real. Reading is grist. Reading is bliss.
If I was a Game of Thrones character I’d totally be a badass warrior girl. And me and Robb Stark/Jon Snow would ride off into the sunset. Forever.
And now I should really go do something productive.
EDIT: Still in procrastination mode.. I’m of House Stark. That’s going to upset my plans. I don’t believe in the Lannister way. *chortle* Ah well..
Things I love Thursday x 2
- Famous Five bottled pop.
- Spending time with my family.
- Drinks with the girls.
- Forming our own rap band.
- .. and rapping.
- Having something “signature” about myself; my eyeliner.
- Oh, and someone calling it my signature thing!
- Dressing like the Avengers.
- Wearing Mickey Mouse ears.
- Starting a new project and feeling super inspired.
- Having fantastic runs. In the sun. And sweating buckets.
- Buying Disney DVDs.
- Curling up in bed and reading.
- Spending all morning trail running with my mum.
- Finally visiting High Force! It’s horrifyingly awesome!
- Pikachu with a moustache!
- Someone unnecessarily rewarding your favour with chocolate.
- Reading in the conservatory in the warmth.
- Revlon Lip Butter.
- Recieving my fourth GLOSSYBOX! And enjoying a revitalising facemask!
- Green tea.
- Enjoying an ice cream in the sunshine!
- Feeling really good about a project I can’t wait to crack on with.
- The final episode of Angel.
- Did I mention sunshine already ..?
Things I love
- Star Wars night - a chance to be freely geeky whilst getting drunk.
- Spending a rainy Bank Holiday Monday playing lots of Monopoly with my family.
- Having super duper good runs where you get really sweaty.
- Playing board games. And winning.
- Reading in the sunshine.
- Feeling inspired.
- “I’m on a Boat”.
- Green tea.
- Playing Skyrim with my sister whilst she braids my hair.
- Driving in the rain.
- Tucking your shirt into your jeans.
Happy Thursday! I’ve been a bit rubbish lately. I haven’t felt like myself at all. I haven’t been programming for myself, I haven’t been very social (not that I am anyway), I haven’t even been playing as many games or reading as much as I want to. You know when you’re just stuck? Maybe it’s been the constant down pour that’s affecting my mood.
Regardless, I want to change and feel glamorous and appreciate what I have. That’s where “Things I love Thursday” comes in. Inspired by the wonderful Gala Darling and her Radical Self Love movement, I’m going to note down all the little things which have made me smile.
- Having a really good run after a stressful day
- Beautiful pink blossoms in the sunshine
- Clearing out all the rubbish from my desk and organising my important documents
- Convincing a friend to play a game they initially laughed at and finding they love it
- Seeing friends after too long and laughing and coming third in the quiz
- Having a book you literally don’t want to put down
- Discovering that green tea is bearable when you know it’s good for you
- New lipstick
- Finding out I like guinea pigs
- Crawling into bed after a long day